Frequently Asked Questions

Will the Alcohol & Drug Education be open during the Fall 2020 semester?

Yes, the office is open when the university is open, even during semester breaks. During the Fall 2020 semester, we plan on providing remote education meetings viva zoom or the phone, as well as in-persons crisis sessions in a large office that offers social distancing.

What are you doing to follow recommended health guidelines regarding COVID-19?

The office is being reconfigured to provide “therapy suites” for students. These therapy suites will have Zoom and phone access to conduct remote education meetings, and they are large enough to allow for social distancing in the event that an in-person assessment or session is needed (i.e. crisis situations). Students and staff are required to wear face coverings, and all therapy suites will be cleaned and disinfected after each session.

Do students have to come into the office for a remote education?

No, TCU provides all students a version of Zoom that’s compatible with the HIPPA secured version of Zoom used by staff. In addition, conducting remote services by phone is also an option. If students have a private and confidential space outside of the office, then they do not have to come into the office for their remote session. If a student does not have a private space to conduct the session, a therapy suite can be reserved during business hours.

If students do not want to come into the office, do they have to be in Texas for a remote education meeting?

Education sessions required to fulfill the requirements of a violation, may be conducted when a student is out of state remotely.

Do students need to schedule an appointment?

Yes, unless a student is experiencing a mental health crisis that includes possible danger to self or others, all counseling sessions and education sessions must be scheduled in advanced. We will not be conducting non-crisis drop-in sessions during the Fall 2020 semester.

How can students schedule an Alcohol & Drug Education appointment?

Students can schedule an appointment by calling 817-257-7100. For education meetings required to fulfill requirements of an alcohol or drug violation students can make their appointment online through the Basics website. Students who have been in before and already have an account click here, and students who have never been in before and do not have an account click here.

What should students do in the event of an emergency?

During business hours (8am-5pm), students experiencing a mental health emergency that includes possible danger to self or others can contact our office at 817-257-7863 to speak with a crisis counselor.  Students can also call the 24/7 phone counseling helpline at 817-257-7233.  If there are immediate safety concerns, please call Campus Police at 817-257-7777, or dial 911.

What if I’m concerned about another TCU student? 

If you are worried about the well-being of a fellow TCU student, please submit a Report of Student Concern with the Dean of Students Office in Campus Life. These reports can be submitted at

It can be hard to support a friend or loved one who is struggling.  Contact us for support along the way.

Don’t make excuses for your friend’s behavior.  Protecting a friend from experiencing the consequences of their drinking behavior may enable them to continue using.

How can students complete a required Alcohol Education Workshop?

Alcohol Education Workshops will be offered twice a month in a remote format.  Students can view and register for workshop offerings through the Basics platform.  Once registered, students will be emailed the Zoom meeting ID for their upcoming workshop.  See FAQ above on schedule.

How will we support students either in recovery or seeking recovery from substance use?

Alcohol & Drug Education continues to provide staff presence and support for twice weekly, remote, open meetings for TCU students, varying in age, major, and phase of recovery, to share their experience, strength, and hope.  This group also hosts alcohol-free events throughout the fall and spring semesters. Meetings are offered at 6pm on both Thursdays and Sundays.  Zoom ID: 814-700-806. Email or for the meeting password.  Students may also choose to seek individual support by meeting with either of our Licensed Professional Counselors.

What should I do if I think my friend has Alcohol Poisoning?

Signs and Symptoms – if the person:

  • Cannot be awakened, is unconscious or only semi-conscious
  • Has cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin
  • Has irregular breathing, or is breathing less than 8 times per minute
  • Vomits while “sleeping” or passed out, or doesn’t wake up after vomiting

GET HELP! Do not wait! Turn the person on their side to help prevent choking.


  • Your Hall Director or RA, or any administrative staff.
  • If on campus call TCU Police 817-257-7777 (or 7777from any on campus phone)
  • If you are off campus, call 911
What is TCU’s Medical Amnesty/Good Samaritan Policy?

TCU’s main concern is for the well-being, health, and safety of its students.  In short, the Medical Amnesty/Good Samaritan Policy outlines that:

  • An individual who calls for emergency assistance on behalf of person experiencing an alcohol or other drug related emergency will not face formal disciplinary action by the University for the possession or use of Alcohol and other drugs. They, as the Good Samaritan, and their friend, as the person in medical need, are both covered by the policy.

To review all of TCU’s policies regarding alcohol and drugs, as well as information about procedures and sanctions please consult the TCU Student Handbook:

I got an email about an alcohol violation, what happens now?

Please speak with your Hall Director regarding violations. Click here to learn about sanctions for alcohol or drug violations. But, in a nutshell, if you are found in violation of the alcohol policy for the first time, you are required to complete the following:

  1. Pay $75 fine
  2. Complete an online alcohol education course
  3. Attend individual meeting with ADE educator or Conduct Manager
Why do I have a hold on my account?

Students have three weeks from the time they are found in violation of the alcohol or drug policy to complete all required sanctions. If a student does not complete the required sanctions within that three week period, a hold will be placed on the student’s account and will remain on the registration account until all of the sanctions of the violation are complete. This hold will prevent a student from adding, dropping, or registering for classes, or from getting a TCU transcript. It is in the student’s best interest to complete any requirements in as timely a manner as possible.
To inquire about a hold, please contact the Campus Life Office at 817-257-7925.

Can I appeal my violation?

Yes. An alcohol violation sanctioned to you by your Hall Director can be appealed as long as the appeal request is submitted within 72 hours from when your outcome letter was received. For more information, please refer to your outcome letter that you were sent following your meeting with your Hall Director.

I missed my appointment/the Alcohol Education Workshop, what do I do now?

Please call Alcohol & Drug Education at 817-257-7100 during business hours to reschedule. It is important for you to complete any requirements for an alcohol or drug violation in a timely manner.

How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol or drugs?

If any of the following are true for you, we encourage you to talk to someone:

  • Drinking to calm nerves or forget worries
  • Feeling guilty about drinking
  • Unsuccessful attempts to cut back/quit drinking
  • Lying or hiding drinking habits
  • High tolerance/need to drink more to achieve desired effect
  • Family history of alcoholism or addiction
  • Persistent drinking or using, despite negative consequences
How do I talk to a friend about my concerns?

If you are worried about a friend’s substance use, try first to speak with them directly about your concerns:

  • First of all, choose a time when he or she is sober.
  • Be factual and specific about your concerns.  Give examples of how his or her behavior concerns you. State what you have observed, rather than opinion.
  • Do what you can to encourage your friend to make an appointment with Alcohol & Drug Education and use the resources available to her/him.  However, remember the only person you can change is yourself.
  • Contact us if you would like more information or want to discuss your concerns with one of our staff.